Thursday, February 28, 2013

Life and Death and Life: Our Resurrection Hope

Perhaps it seems morbid, but it’s on my mind today. Is the potential loss of a loved one a good reason to not love? Is the fact that a friend might move reason not to reach out? Is the fact that a relationship might not work out reason not to date? Is the fact that a child might die reason not to have children? Is the fact that a husband might die reason to live alone? Does the existence of pain and the potential for sorrow mean that I should not love? These are the sorts of questions that I think when I witness pain. Was it worth it? Were the happy times worth this great sorrow?

One of my coworkers lost her husband last night unexpectedly. He was not ill, and only in his early fifties. They should have had another ten or twenty years together at least. Instead, she is now grieving and arranging his funeral. Everything had been normal as she came home from a day at the office, until she found him already gone. Can life really change so quickly? Can everything be different in an instant?
 
My heart is broken for her. She is too young to be a widow, too full of life to mourn this death, too joyful to experience this sorrow. Even still, I know that she would say it was worth it. She would never trade those moments of joy, those years together to avoid her current heartache. She mourns because of her deep love, but her years were not worthless; her love was not in vain. The Lord blessed them, and they grew in faith together. He was a wonderful gift that, although gone, will live on for eternity. He is in the presence of our Savior! In these moments the Lord promises to be her strength and her salvation. Though she walks through the shadow of death, he is beside her, lending her courage and strength. He has not left her alone.

I AM the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die.
    I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though this body be destroyed, yet shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger.
    We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. The L
ORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

MOST merciful Father, who hast been pleased to take unto thyself the soul of this thy servant; Grant to us who are still in our pilgrimage, and who walk as yet by faith, that having served thee with constancy on earth, we may be joined hereafter with thy blessed saints in glory everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment