Thursday, October 27, 2011

NaNoWriMo: 30 Days & Nights of Literary Abandon

National Novel Writing Month (affectionately known as NaNoWriMo) is a challenge to all who have ever thought, “I’d like to write a novel someday…”  Well, this is your chance!  During the month of November hundreds of thousands around the globe (and that is not an exaggeration, as they had 200,000 participants last year) will seek to write a 50,000 word novel (this equates to approximately 175 pages).  Writing begins at 12:01 AM on November 1st and must be completed and uploaded by midnight on November 30th to count.

I have heard about this for years and decided to attempt the seemingly impossible last year; however, less than a week into the month, a charming and handsome man asked me on a date, and I frankly forgot all about novel writing.  Well, it was a whirlwind, but we are married now and settled down a bit, so I have decided to once again attempt the challenge.  I made it to 10,000 words last year.  If I can average 1,700 words a day, then I will make the goal.  That doesn’t sound too bad, until you think about the 2 weddings we have this month, and family vacation, and Thanksgiving…

With hands tied until the 1st, I have a title: The Fall, a decent one-page outline of the basic plot, and the main characters’ names: Madelyn Campbell & Spencer Moore (yes, I will admit that I spent a couple hours looking at baby names online before I settled on these two). 

So please forgive me for being too busy in October to write (my little sister got married last weekend – see my previous post), and I’m afraid I will be a crazy, creative-writing monster for the month of November.  Perhaps, I will post some excerpts from my story if I think they are decent…

The Challenge:  If you have ever thought about writing a novel, will you consider joining me in accepting the challenge?  Join the fun at www.nanowrimo.org!  Having NaNo buddies is a lot more fun than doing this all on your own.  If you do decide to participate, let me know by sending me your username, and maybe we can have a writing party!  The more the merrier!!

No comments:

Post a Comment